The contest is running on unparalleled state-of-the-art server technology.
IBM's mainframe has gone through many name changes during the decades as the
technology has advanced.
The word mainframe captures the technology-rich history of this best of breed enterprise server.
The latest generation of IBM's mainframe, the z14 from the IBM Z family, has a world class legacy of
50+ years of technological advancements resulting in today's state-of-the-art technology.
- 171 5+ GHz customer usable processors
- 32 TB of memory - Yes that is TeraBytes of processing memory for programs and data
- 1000+ adapters each with dedicated processors and memory for disk and network I/0 traffic
- 5 levels of internal cache - each cache has large memory sizes
- 832 GB/second throughput
- Running thousands of operating systems concurrently without any extra network cables or power supplies
- Network delay between the operating systems is near zero
- Supports 6 unique operating systems, z/OS, z/VM, Linux, z/TPF, z/VSE, and KVM
- Unparalleled security and encryption capability
- A machine made for handling today's massive amount of data and providing real time analytics
Hear the story from a high student that decided to buy a near 20 year old IBM mainframe, moved it to his parents basement, and made it work.
I Just Bought an IBM z890 - Now What?
Connor now works for IBM on IBM Z technology